Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Phew! A New and Exciting Year Lies Ahead!

It's been a couple months since my last post, mainly because I was looking for what commentary I could make as 2014 ended and 2015 loomed ahead.  There are all kinds of posts out there about the past year and what we should focus on as the new year begins; why should I add to the din?  So, after much consideration and focusing on getting through the holiday season over the last few weeks, I feel like I can finally write down some thoughts, which may or may not matter to the population at large, but are still thoughts I'd like to share.

2014 was quite a year.  There were a lot of memories made, new experiences to be shared, and new friendships established.  This year, New York felt even more like home and as I continue to explore it (it seems never-ending at times), I look forward to putting down even stronger roots.

Tiki pub crawl
Roberta and I giving the tongue

Our neighborhood, in sight of the Empire State Building (it's closer than it appears)
A uniquely NYC event!

Cruising around the Hudson River with Faith
My first Comic Con!

Sunset over our little borough and the train that (sometimes) gets us where we want to go.


2015 looks to be an even more exciting journey!

Starting off the year celebrating my mom's birthday back in Denver!  I can't wait to see my Colorado family and friends; I only wish there was time to see everyone.  Thankfully, there's technology that can keep us together throughout the year and whenever anyone wants to come to the Big Apple, you have a free place to stay!

I'm looking forward to attending more plays, visiting more museums, and trying out some of the events I keep hearing about, like Governors Ball Music Festival and the Jazz Age Lawn Party.  I'm hoping, too, that I can put on my dancing shoes a little more often (before my bones/joints tell me to stop) and get around to going to the MoMA PS1: Warm Up and the Mister Saturday Night/Mister Sunday parties.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the frosty winter of the city, with the smell of scorched street food always reminding me I'm in New York (in case I forget).  That's far better, however, than the smell of urine we always get during the warmer months, so I'll take it.  The cold seems to have no effect on the people that need to push their way along the sidewalks or onto crowded trains to get to wherever they're going.  As challenging (and smelly) as it is, I still love it!

I guess my point is, wherever I am, there are challenges and happiness in equal measure.  There's really no way around it.  But, I'm learning to overcome the challenges more quickly and enjoy the happiness that comes along the way.  I've found ever more positive people to surround myself with and I'm beginning to understand why they're so freaking joyful all the time!  I'm still a little grumpier than some, but not as grumpy as I used to be (I think my cold black heart might be brightening up a bit) and much less grumpy than many New Yorkers.  Who would have thought living in a city this size, with so many obstacles, I could find such strength and joy?  (Ok, sappy emotional moment over)

Happy New Year everyone and here's to another year of life, learning, and letting go (now you'll have that Idina Menzel song in your head; will it ever go away?)!

Can't wait to see Mexico in the Fall!


No comments:

Post a Comment