Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Beginning...

It was suggested to me, as I was relaying my experience attending a performance of Macbeth, that I should write a blog about all of the plays I see in NYC.  I thought about it for awhile, thought some more (I do a lot of thinking before I do almost anything), and then thought even more (see?).  My main thought was, 'who would want to read something like that?'  Do I really have anything interesting to say on a subject that has been written about countless times (theatre (yup, I wrote it that way) critics are great in number in NYC)?  Then, I thought (again) about what different perspective I might bring to a discussion on plays and musicals, being from an almost Midwest town like Denver, Colorado.  My exposure to theatre (I'm gonna keep spelling it that way, cuz I like it!) was pretty limited, but I was always greatly entertained whenever I made it to a show.  However, since moving to NYC almost three years ago, I've made it a point to see, at least, one show a month.  I know, that doesn't seem like a lot when you consider how much theatre is out there (Broadway, Off-Broadway, Off-Off-Broadway, Scary-Off-Broadway....), but I have to take into consideration actually being able to LIVE here, too.  While salaries are definitely higher here, so is a gallon of milk (ok, I don't drink milk, but you get the idea).  My final thought was that I should include some other tidbits about life in NYC and how theatre is infused as part of my whole experience with life here.  So, while I don't expect rampant exposure or notoriety from this, maybe I can connect a little better with those few who decide to take a gander at what I have to say.  So, to the three or four (if I'm lucky) people I think will read this, let's talk life in NYC!

I suppose the best place to start is with the performance I saw most recently, Macbeth.  This was staged at the Park Avenue Armory, which is an actual armory, "built by the state's Seventh Regiment of the National Guard, which was the first volunteer militia to respond to President Lincoln's call for troops in 1861."  Check out their website for more about this remarkable and beautiful (in my opinion) space: http://www.armoryonpark.org/.

Once I picked up my ticket, I was given a wristband with a "clan" name on it: Caithness.  This was curious to me, but I was open to the experience, so I went with it.  Each person was divided into different clans and we had to report to a room designated for our clan prior to the show starting.  The programs for the show were even specific to our clan, providing some history of where we were supposed to be from in Scotland (where Macbeth takes place) and whose side (Macbeth's, Macduff's, etc.) we supported.  Once we heard our name called, we made our way into the Wade Thompson Drill Hall, which is a huge space (55,000 square feet) and considering how space is at a premium in NYC, I'm surprised they've been able to keep it from developers.  Once we entered, there were few lights except for torches of cloaked soldiers we followed to find our seats.  The stage wasn't front and center as I expected, but was at one end, with bleacher-type seats rising on each side.  The rest of the space contained swamp and marshland with a path we had to stay on unless we wanted to get dirty.  I was impressed with how the creators really wanted to give the audience an immersive experience and not just have us passively watch the play.  I found my seat and to my dismay, I seemed to be on the only bench without a cushion.  So, I settled in for two hours of a hurting butt.


Fortunately, the action in the arena-style stage helped keep my mind off my numb behind.  The play starts with a battle in the mud and rain, with plenty of both splashing into the front rows of the audience.  The staging was such that it really seemed like the actors didn't know we were there watching them.  They used every bit of space and even went into the audience for sections.  The performances were all fantastic, but I would be remiss if I didn't highlight the power and ability of Kenneth Branagh (who also co-directed) and Alex Kingston; I've known Kenneth was brilliant when it comes to Shakespeare (hello!  Henry V!).


But Alex was a pleasant surprise, although I kept hoping she might sneak in her most famous catchphrase, "Spoilers."  It's a Doctor Who thing.



I've seen one other version of Macbeth in NYC and that version starred Alan Cumming.  He did a one-man version of the play, using the concept of someone in a mental hospital who does the entire play in their head and is every character.  That was a very remarkable and original idea and I don't know many actors that could pull it off as well as he did.  While Alan's version was more cerebral and the audience had to use more of their imagination, Kenneth's version was action-packed, laying it all out and making it highly accessible.  Not a bad night for theatre, that's for sure.  Now, if I can just get my sister and others coordinated to get tickets to Cabaret with Alan Cumming before it closes......

Oh, one last thing, on my way to the subway, I passed a cafe and sitting outside on the "patio" (it's really just tables and chairs on the sidewalk) was Roger Waters enjoying a meal.  It was a surreal moment seeing a legend like that just sitting there a few feet from me.  But, as always, my intimidation at meeting famous people took over and kept me from saying anything to him (that and I didn't want to bother him mid-chew).  Oh, and for those unfamiliar with who Roger Waters is:



This is my first attempt at something like this, so I hope it was everything you expected and more.  I can only get better from here, right?  RIGHT?!

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment